Volunteer role: Engineer
We are looking for an engineer who would like to work in a hands-on role, working to make a water turbine that will run beautiful green energy for years to come.
We are looking for someone who is:
- A team player
- Easy going and considerate
- Independent and has a strong initiative
- Enjoys working on a variety of tasks
We are looking for someone who:
- Will execute high-quality workmanship within the time frame provided
- Is innovative and open-minded
- Has a strong problem-solving ability and thrives during this creative process
- Is healthy and able to work physically (job involves occasionally carrying heavy loads etc.)
- Is a team player and works well with a diverse group of people
- Speaks English (or French) fluently
- Having an interest in the environment, sustainable living or NVC (Nonviolent Communication) would be a definite plus!
- An interest in the environment is a bonus, as this is the main motivation for this project and a large part of our ethos.
- To qualify for this volunteer role, you must have:
- Two years of industry experience, or relevant qualification
- An awareness of health and safety regulations and regularly practice risk assessments
- Ideally, experience working with renewable energy sources (such as water turbines)
You will be staying on site in our basic accommodation, working only 14 hours a week, you will have the freedom the rest of the time to, explore the area, make new friends, practice your French, browse bookshops, and enjoy the glorious countryside out here.
Volunteers typically stay for anything from two weeks to two months. Engineers are encouraged to stay for at least one month so that site work, once begun, may be completed. (Exceptional cases may be considered for a longer stay than two months if this serves both parties.)
This is a creative role for someone who loves problem-solving and takes pride in their work. If you think you’re up to the challenge, the real benefits of your work will be truly appreciated by us and by future visitors of The Old Tannery.
To apply for this role, please fill out the application form.
If you have any further questions about the role or The Old Tannery, please send them through the contact form.